status support TS gateway connections to RDP

status support TS gateway connections to RDP

kees Louwen
Hello,

What is the status and are the requirements to use the TS gateway RDP options provided in guacamole version 9.13?

I am testing version 9.13 in a docker setup, especially the TS Gateway functionality. Based on the provided dockerfiles the guacamole client and server are build including freerdp version 1.02. The UI, database, etc show the required gateway fields. However, when I trace the connection I don't see any attempts to connect to the specified TS Gateway via port 443.

I have read jira issue guacamole-40 which describes the implementation and seems to specify I need a patched freerdp version. Any guidance on how to solve or install this is much appreciated.

thanks Kees

Re: status support TS gateway connections to RDP

Mike Jumper
On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 3:42 AM, kees Louwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

What is the status and are the requirements to use the TS gateway RDP
options provided in guacamole version 9.13?

0.9.13*

Keep in mind there is no 0.9.13 release yet. You are building the latest code from git. The version numbers have been bumped in preparation for a release, but that release has not actually been made yet, and more testing remains to be done.

I am testing version 9.13 in a docker setup, especially the TS Gateway
functionality. Based on the provided dockerfiles the guacamole client and
server are build including freerdp version 1.02. The UI, database, etc show
the required gateway fields. However, when I trace the connection I don't
see any attempts to connect to the specified TS Gateway via port 443.

I have read jira issue guacamole-40 which describes the implementation and
seems to specify I need a patched freerdp version. Any guidance on how to
solve or install this is much appreciated.

Was there anything specifically about the instructions on GUACAMOLE-40 for patching FreeRDP which was unclear?

- Mike

RE: status support TS gateway connections to RDP

kees Louwen

Hello,

Thanks for the response. As a non-developer it becomes quickly unclear ..;-) ..sorry about that. I tried to create a patched freerdp version but without luck.

The patch described in guacamole-40 is on FreeRDP  and requires to re-compile FreeRDP, correct?

I tried to compile FreeRDP with the commit in step 1 of guacamole-40, but I am stuck before I even can apply step 2 as described in guacamole-40. What I did thus far is:

1.       Installed clean centos 7 image

2.       Installed guacamole server (guacd) following: http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html#building-guacamole-server with the 9.13 code and freedrp-devel package provided via repo.

3.       Tested: rdp protocol is supported, however without the gateway function;

4.       git clone https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP.git

5.       git fetch origin 0746d8c14cc8cca7b66bdea31fa6a00cbd509095

6.       git reset --hard FETCH_HEAD

7.       followed compile freerdp instructions: https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/wiki/Compilation

8.       did a rebuild of guacamole server as in step 2;

9.       restart of guacd server;

10.   tested: guacd message: support for protocol “rdp” is not installed;

The freerdp compile seem to break rdp protocol. I also tried to first install and compile FreeRDP on the clean centos 7 image and then build guacamole server, but with the same results.

Any clues or tips? Many thanks.

(note: in 9.13 the guacamole proxy  parameter in the connection configuration seems to be mandatory and required. I received in the guacamole client log the message: ….connection refused…. when this proxy parameter wasn’t set. Took me some time to sort that one out. Hopefully this info might help other users or even a check can be build in the client?)

Thanks for the impressive tool and support.

Regards, Kees

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 6:12 AM, Kees Louwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. As a non-developer it becomes quickly unclear ..;-)
> ..sorry about that. I tried to create a patched freerdp version but without
> luck.

I've attached a patched copy of FreeRDP to the issue in JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12876261/12876261_FreeRDP-patched.tar.gz

The above *should* work, though clearly isn't an actual release of FreeRDP.

> The patch described in guacamole-40 is on FreeRDP  and requires to
> re-compile FreeRDP, correct?

Correct.

> (note: in 9.13 ...

0.9.13*

> ... the guacamole proxy  parameter in the connection
> configuration seems to be mandatory and required. I received in the
> guacamole client log the message: ….connection refused…. when this proxy
> parameter wasn’t set. Took me some time to sort that one out. Hopefully this
> info might help other users or even a check can be build in the client?)

No, that parameter is not required. The behavior you're describing was
a regression due to the changes adding that parameter, but should be
fixed:

- Mike

RE: status support TS gateway connections to RDP

kees Louwen
Many thanks, I will test as soon as possible, and let you know.

Regards, Kees

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 6:12 AM, Kees Louwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. As a non-developer it becomes quickly unclear
> ..;-) ..sorry about that. I tried to create a patched freerdp version
> but without luck.

I've attached a patched copy of FreeRDP to the issue in JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12876261/12876261_FreeRDP-patched.tar.gz

The above *should* work, though clearly isn't an actual release of FreeRDP.

> The patch described in guacamole-40 is on FreeRDP  and requires to
> re-compile FreeRDP, correct?

Correct.

> (note: in 9.13 ...

0.9.13*

> ... the guacamole proxy  parameter in the connection configuration
> seems to be mandatory and required. I received in the guacamole client
> log the message: ….connection refused…. when this proxy parameter
> wasn’t set. Took me some time to sort that one out. Hopefully this
> info might help other users or even a check can be build in the
> client?)

No, that parameter is not required. The behavior you're describing was a regression due to the changes adding that parameter, but should be
fixed:

- Mike

RE: status support TS gateway connections to RDP

Jerry
Mike Jumper wrote
I've attached a patched copy of FreeRDP to the issue in JIRA:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12876261/12876261_FreeRDP-patched.tar.gz

The above *should* work, though clearly isn't an actual release of FreeRDP.
I did try this (removed the old FreeRDP, installed your version and recompiled the guacamole server) but the gateway didn't work for me.

Jerry

RE: status support TS gateway connections to RDP

kees Louwen
Hello,

I finally found some time to test as well but no final results, yet.
I did compile the provided patched FreeRDP source and 0.9.13 guacamole-server pulled from git. I do see traffic going on to my RD Gateway on https (443) back and forth, however it won't connect successfully for now. I don't have access to the RD Gateway logs at this moment, so won't be able to check any errors on that end. However, the guacamole gateway parms seems to be accepted by the patched FreedRDP version. To be continued.

Regards, Kees