What are some tips for debugging no audio heard?

What are some tips for debugging no audio heard?

christopherbalz
Under vnc, I've got sound levels showing on the remote machine (where Guacamole is running and the desktop of which Guacamole is showing), but I don't hear any sound on Google Chrome (have not tried on other browsers).

The setting enable-audio is set and audio-servername is left unset.  Audio is currently redirected to the dummy sound card on the remote machine, in case that matters (the remote machine has no physical sound card).

What would be good troubleshooting steps to take?

Re: What are some tips for debugging no audio heard?

Nick Couchman-2
I guess I'd start by asking the following questions:
- For guacd, have you linked the necessary Guacamole libraries into the FreeRDP lib directory?  The following thread should help you with that - the guacdr.so and guacsnd.so files are the ones you're interested in.  https://sourceforge.net/p/guacamole/discussion/1110834/thread/76764d35/?limit=25
- What platform is the client (Chrome + Guacamole) running?
- Are you getting sound from other web sites on that system - e.g., if you go to YouTube and play a video, do you get sound?
- When you say you're showing sound levels on the remote machine and the desktop of Chrome, what do you mean?  Are you running the mixer on both systems and seeing the little decibel meter bounce?
- In Chrome, when you play a sound on the remote machine, do you see the little sound icon show up on the toolbar?

-Nick

On Sunday, July 30, 2017, 7:48:23 PM EDT, christopherbalz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Under vnc, I've got sound levels showing on the remote machine (where
Guacamole is running and the desktop of which Guacamole is showing), but I
don't hear any sound on Google Chrome (have not tried on other browsers).

The setting enable-audio is set and audio-servername is left unset.  Audio
is currently redirected to the dummy sound card on the remote machine, in
case that matters (the remote machine has no physical sound card).

What would be good troubleshooting steps to take?

Re: What are some tips for debugging no audio heard?

zkareem
Hi Nick,

About the first question:
- For guacd, have you linked the necessary Guacamole libraries into the FreeRDP lib directory?  The following thread should help you with that - the guacdr.so and guacsnd.so files are the ones you're interested in.  https://sourceforge.net/p/guacamole/discussion/1110834/thread/76764d35/?limit=25
A: The guacdr-client.so and guacsnd-client.so files have been linked.

I want to first make a clean picture of the system we are running and see if it answers your other questions:
- We have one EC2 with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed. We have deployed Guacamole in this machine.
- We can use both VNC viewer as well as browsers (like Chrome or Firefox) to load the remote desktop via our laptops. Our laptops are also running Ubuntu and the sound system is working perfectly in these laptops.
- When we load the remote desktop in our browsers or VNC viewer, and we try to play a video or music in the remote desktop (by opening Chrome or Firefox in the remote system), we can see that the decibel meter is bouncing in PulseAudio volume control in the remote desktop and also in the remote desktop Chrome we see the small sound icon. But we cannot hear any audio. In the volume control of remote desktop we see "Dummy Output" virtual device against which the meter bounces. The PulseAudio server is in the remote machine.

Attaching a screenshot of what we see for the Dummy Output device.

One thing we found is that when we set the PulseAudio server in our laptop and connect the remote desktop PulseAudio client to it, we can hear sound.

-Zaki

Re: What are some tips for debugging no audio heard?

christopherbalz
This post was updated on .
(Sorry for the late reply: We got back earlier, but somehow the post was never approved; possibly because it contained an image, a screenshot).

 About the first question:
- For guacd, have you linked the necessary Guacamole libraries into the FreeRDP lib directory?  The following thread should help you with that - the guacdr.so and guacsnd.so files are the ones you're interested in.  https://sourceforge.net/p/guacamole/discussion/1110834/thread/76764d35/?limit=25
A: The guacdr-client.so and guacsnd-client.so files have been linked.

We want to first make a clean picture of the system we are running and see if it answers your other questions:
- We have one EC2 with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed. We have deployed Guacamole in this machine.
- We can use both VNC viewer as well as browsers (like Chrome or Firefox) to load the remote desktop via our laptops. Our laptops are also running Ubuntu and the sound system is working perfectly in these laptops.
- Connecting a local PulseAudio sound server directly to the PulseAudio server on the remote instance actually does deliver sound that we can hear on our local laptop.
- We've double-checked the enable-audio setting, the added line in /etc/pulse/default.pa, and the `netstat -ln | grep 4713` result.
- When we load the remote desktop in our browsers or VNC viewer, and we try to play a video or music in the remote desktop (by opening Chrome or Firefox in the remote system), we can see that the decibel meter is bouncing in PulseAudio volume control in the remote desktop and also in the remote desktop Chrome we see the small sound icon. But we cannot hear any audio. In the volume control gui of the remote desktop we see "Dummy Output" virtual device against which the meter bounces.

Re: What are some tips for debugging no audio heard?

Mike Jumper
On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 1:16 PM, christopherbalz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> About the first question:
> - For guacd, have you linked the necessary Guacamole libraries into the
> FreeRDP lib directory?  The following thread should help you with that - the
> guacdr.so and guacsnd.so files are the ones you're interested in.
> https://sourceforge.net/p/guacamole/discussion/1110834/thread/76764d35/?limit=25
> A: The guacdr-client.so and guacsnd-client.so files have been linked.
>
> We want to first make a clean picture of the system we are running and see
> if it answers your other questions:
> - We have one EC2 with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed. We have deployed
> Guacamole in this machine.
> - We can use both VNC viewer as well as browsers (like Chrome or Firefox) to
> load the remote desktop via our laptops. Our laptops are also running Ubuntu
> and the sound system is working perfectly in these laptops.

Are you saying that Guacamole has been installed on the same machine
as the VNC server?

> - Connecting a local PulseAudio sound server directly to the PulseAudio
> server on the remote instance actually does deliver sound that we can hear
> on our local laptop.
> - We've double-checked the enable-audio setting, the added line in
> /etc/pulse/default.pa, and the `netstat -ln | grep 4713` result.

If Guacamole is running on the same machine as the VNC server, have
you tried specifying "localhost" for the PulseAudio server name in the
configuration of the Guacamole connection?

If not, have you tried specifying the IP address of the VNC server?

- Mike

Re: What are some tips for debugging no audio heard?

zkareem
Mike Jumper,

Thanks for reaching back. The problem has been resolved. The issue was with our client code - the custom web application. We had to update our servlet that extends GuacamoleHTTPTunnelServlet class so that it checks if audio is enabled for the user and put it in GuacamoleConfiguration object. Also needed to supply mime types for the audio to work to GuacamoleClientInformation object which is then passed to GuacamoleSocket.

Sample Code:

// check if audio is enabled for user
guacamoleConfig.setParameter("enable-audio", userConfig.isEnableAudio());

// supply supported mime types
GuacamoleClientInformation info = new GuacamoleClientInformation();
info.getAudioMimetypes().addAll(Arrays.asList("audio/L16","audio/mpeg","audio/ogg"));

// then connect to guacd
GuacamoleSocket socket = new ConfiguredGuacamoleSocket(
                new InetGuacamoleSocket(guacdHost, Integer.parseInt(guacdPort)), guacamoleConfig, info);